Sunday, July 22, 2012

Can You Spot the Clues to Another Style?



Recognizing Other Styles is only important because it gives us an indicator of how to best approach someone (“treat others they’d like to be treated”) if we want to create a winning relationship.


We’ve studied Understand the Basic of Behavioral Styles which I consider People Reading 101.


People Reading 201 is Recognizing Other Styles - Link to a Bonus "Cheat Sheet" is below.

People Reading 301 is Adapting to Other Styles (tomorrow)

Here’s simple summary of signals people may give as to their preferred style - the challenge is to understand the basics in order to recognize the signs - then act on simple adaptations of your own.

D’s are:

Extroverted (though I’ve seen lots of introverted strong D’s – I think it’s believed that just because they’re dominant, D’s are extroverted – not necessarily so!)
Task Oriented
Direct

In Excesses: Impatient, aggressive
Needy for: Results/Control
The Emotion that may clue you to this style: Anger/short fuse
                     

i’s are:
Extroverted
People Oriented
Indirect

In Excesses: Undisciplined, reactive
Needy for: Acceptance, is fun-loving
The Emotion that may clue you to this style: Optimism, enthusiasm

S’s are:
Introverted
People Oriented
Indirect
In Excesses: Possessive, unsure, wishy-washy
Needy for: Trust, security
The Emotion that may clue you to this style: Non-emotional

C's are
Introverted
Task Oriented
Direct

In Excesses: Critical, stuffy, slow to make decisions
Needy for: Logic, procedures, data, to be “right”
The Emotion that may clue you to this style: Fear of criticism


My-Never-To-Be-Forgotten—Oft-Repeated-Very-Important-Note: Discovering your behavioral style is intended to help you understand more about your impact on and relationships with others and how you can use that information to improve or create strong and effective relationships – in your personal or professional world.

Understanding the styles of DiSC® is NOT an opportunity to stereotype and refer to someone as a “D” (or i, S or C). We all have some of each style within our range of behaviors so it’s unfair and possibility offensive to call someone by their primary style indicator. And remember that DiSC® is focusing on a particular role in your life – circumstances and situations may cause a change in that role and a change in behaviors. So can styles change? YES! No stereotyping or labeling allowed.

Resources:
The Universal Language
Ô DISC, A Reference Manual, 1993, Target Training International, Ltd.
DiSC® Classic 2.0 Online Profile, Inscape Publishing, Minneapolis, MN
ProStar Coach, Performance Support Systems, Inc. Newport News, VA
My Real-World Experience – all over the place!


What we’ve been talking about is the high-level view of


The program all entrepreneurs can use to develop strong client relationships

image: clipof.com

2 comments:

Julia Neiman said...

This is an interesting perspective Christine. I think I'm an I person. And I'm not sure I like that because lately I'm trying to catch all the times I say "I" so I can't replace that with something else.

Christine Mann said...

Julie, if the other descriptors fit, you may well be an "I', but don’t' forget that you have elements of all four styles within you (at least, most people do!). The best thing to do to combat the I, I, I references, is just to stop, think what you’re going to say and find the other word or phrase that isn’t i. I’s are well known for their enthusiastic approach to work, so sometimes maybe you could say “the team’ or “Susan suggested’. Take the load from you you you and give others credit or let them lead.

A wise coach once told me that Awareness itself is curative.” I love that counsel – it works! Let me know how you’re doing.

PS: There’s nothing wrong with being an I, you understand – you’re just identifying a behavior you’d like to minimize – cure yourself by being aware!